For Grandparents

iDareDream offers support to Grandparents with the full-time care of their grandchildren to ensure each grandchild knows they matter – to us all!

We know there can be many reasons your grandchildren live with you. And when they come into your care, they’ve usually had some very frightening experiences. 

Research shows that even when these children are raised by other loving family members, the early childhood trauma they’ve already experienced still impacts their development – particularly the part of the brain responsible for self-worth, and can adversely affect ongoing behaviour unless actively addressed. 

iDareDream offers children of Grandcarer Families the opportunity to join after school activities or holiday programs where they can discover new interests, learn new skills, grow their self-confidence and, most importantly, begin to feel a sense of belonging, of being part of the greater community in which they live and will one day take their rightful place. 

By facilitating participation in experiential activities, the children have a chance to discover something within themselves – some talent, some interest or desire that matters to them, a dream they can hold and use to forge brighter futures for themselves.

     “Dreams inspire hope and make us more resilient when facing life’s challenges.”

We know that providing such extra-curricular and recreational activities are normally well outside the limited financial capacity of Grandcarers, with many of you already struggling to meet the numerous daily expenses of raising a second generation at this time in your life.

It is also our desire to develop a collaborative community for grandcarers who may be suffering from the social isolation and grief at the loss of your friends who are now child-free (and sometimes other family members), not to mention your own lost retirement plans. 

We aim to build a network of existing resources and assist grandcarers with the often difficult and time-consuming task of finding and then navigating access to those most appropriate to meet your specific needs.

If you are a Grandparent and would like your new family to become a member of iDareDream, please talk to us or download a Membership form here

We’d love to have you!

See how your Privacy is protected.

Looking for help?

Legal Information

Grandparents can play a significant role in a child’s life and may be the child’s main caregiver. In many situations it is therefore important to understand your rights as a grandparent to see and care for your grandchildren. The Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) has provision to grant rights to grandparents in relation to their grandchildren.

Under the Family Law Act, a grandparent is the parent of a child’s mother or father. A child usually has four biological grandparents (whether living or deceased) but may also have non-biological grandparents.

Find more information about grandparents and family law in Australia here

For information on WA Legal Aid services and their regional offices, click here.

iDareDream members have access to free initial advice and referral.

Grandparent Child Care Benefits

Grandparents who receive an income support payment and are the primary carer of their grandchildren may be eligible for the Grandparent Child Care Benefit (GCCB) to help them meet the costs of child care.

GCCB covers the full cost of approved child care for up to 50 hours for each child per week. In certain circumstances, Grandparents may be able to get GCCB for more than 50 hours per week.

Find out more information and check your eligibility here.

Family tax benefits for Grandparents

For the purposes of Family Tax Benefit (FTB) Part B and Child Care Subsidy, a grandparent of a child can be any of the following:

  • a biological, adoptive or step grandparent or great grandparent of the child
  • a parent or grandparent of a relationship parent of the child – a relationship parent is a person who is legally responsible for a child born as a result of artificial conception procedures or born under surrogacy arrangements
  • the current or former partner of a biological, adoptive or relationship grandparent or great grandparent.

Find out more information and check your eligibility here

Where can I get more information?

Grandcare is funded by the State Government and delivered by Wanslea Family Services Inc. It does not provide legal advice but services, including initial support and information, for grandparents who are raising their grandchildren (full-time) on an informal basis. This service can be contacted on 1800 008 323 (freecall 10am – 3pm, Monday – Friday).

If you are a grandparent caring for a child in WA and want information on support available to you from Centrelink, contact the Grandparent Adviser on 1800 245 965 (free call from a landline).

If you are an Indigenous grandparent you may be able to get assistance from Aboriginal Family Support Service by contacting it on (08) 6330 5400 or by visiting this website:

You can get more information about the review of care plan decisions in a brochure called Care Plan Review Panel available from CPFS or it can be downloaded at: You can get an application form from a CPFS district office or by contacting the Care Plan Review Panel on (08) 9222 2593.

Contact Family Inclusion Network of Western Australia Inc (FINWA) on (08) 9328 6434 for help if you have a relative in care.

Contact CPFS on (08) 9222 2555 or 1800 622 258 (country free call) for information including a factsheet on an Establishment Payment for foster grandparents looking after grandchildren. The factsheet can also be obtained from the Department’s website at:

Go to the Children’s Court of WA website located at: for information on the court process and forms you might need.

The Department of Local Government and Communities (DLGC) “Grandfamilies: a Resource Guide for Western Australian Grandparents Raising Grandchildren” has information on a range of topics and is available to download here.

Parent & Family Drug Support Line
A confidential, non-judgemental telephone counselling, information and referral service for anyone concerned about a loved one’s alcohol or drug use.
Metro (08) 9442 5050, Country 1800 653 203.
Both numbers are 24hrs, 7 days a week

Drug Aware
24hr Alcohol and Drug Support Lines  
Metro (08) 9442 5000 Country 1800 198 024

Carer Gateway
This Australian Government website has information about services and support for carers. Look for information on the website, use the service finder or call the national helpline:
Phone: 1800 422 737
Hours: 8 am-6 pm, Monday-Friday

Department of Child Protection & Family Support
Crisis line phone (08) 9223 1111   Country free call phone 1800 199 008 

Caring for Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Children Information and Agencies

This resource is designed to support and empower you in your day-to-day caring role of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children.

Family Relationships Online
This national telephone service can provide information and advice on family relationships, including parenting arrangements after separation.
Phone: 1800 050 321
Hours: 8 am-8 pm, Monday-Friday; 10 am-4 pm Saturday (local time), except national public holidays

Do you have more questions?

Get in touch today, we'd love to hear from you.